July: The Present We Couldn't Buy

by - August 01, 2026

July should have been a month of celebration. My husband's birthday and our wedding anniversary both arrived, yet neither came with a cake, a fancy dinner, or wrapped presents. Life has been squeezing us financially, so celebrating simply wasn't something we could afford this year. 

Thankfully, we still had a hotel stay voucher waiting to be used. So, yes... we ended up staying at the exact same hotel as before, the one I had previously complained about. Why go back if it wasn't that comfortable? Well, that's the mindset of someone trying to survive. If something is free, it's hard to say no, even when it quietly comes with its own little inconveniences. At least this time we knew what to expect. We packed more wisely, adjusted our expectations, and came much better prepared than before. Surprisingly, it turned out to be a far more enjoyable experience. Maybe comfort isn't always about the place itself, but about knowing how to make the most of it. We treated it as our own simple way of celebrating nearly a decade of marriage.

The month closed with the news I had been praying for.

After being unemployed for quite some time, my husband finally got a job.

There were days when the financial pressure became so overwhelming that my mind wandered to desperate thoughts. I wanted to tell him to take any job available, become a waiter, a store clerk, a motorcycle taxi driver, anything that could help us stay afloat. But every time those words reached the tip of my tongue, I swallowed them back. I couldn't do it. Because deep down, I knew he was probably carrying a much heavier burden than I was.

Then, finally, this month brought the answer we had been waiting for. The position isn't as good as his previous one, but right now, that's not what matters most. What matters is that our family no longer depends entirely on my income alone. There is another pair of hands helping to carry the weight.

For that, I am deeply grateful.

July reminded me that not every celebration needs decorations or expensive dinners. Sometimes, the greatest gift is simply seeing hope return after years of uncertainty.

You May Also Like

0 comments